Saturday, July 31, 2010

# 1 PA

Three years ago today, our family lost the most loving, caring, hard working, selfless man in the world. He was the most stern father, but most easy going Grandfather ever! Isn't that the way it's supposed to be? He and my grandmother {Gran} were married for 60 years and never once did I see them have any sort of disagreement or show anything other than unconditional love for one another. He had 3 sons, 2 grandsons, 2 granddaughters, and 1 great-granddaughter. We all love and miss him so very much and not a day goes by that I don't think about him or wish I could pick up the phone, on a direct line to heaven, to talk to him. The day before PA passed away, we decided to have one last Christmas, his favorite holiday, in his hospital room. My dad brought in a small table top Christmas tree and we all joined around his bed and sang Christmas carols. We all let him know that as much as we would miss him here on Earth that it was okay for him to go to Heaven and that we would all see him again someday. Although he hadn't been able to talk in about a week when I told him that I loved him he squeezed my hand to let me know that he loved me too. I will never forget that feeling. Right before he passed away, as we were all surrounding him with our love, Gran told him to tell everyone bye and for the first time since arriving at the hospital he sat up in bed, opened his eyes to look at each of us, sneezed and God handed him a tissue in Heaven. Although, it was the hardest thing for our family to go through, I know that he is in a better place and that Heaven has the worlds best pig man, husband, father, grandfather, and great-grandfather they could have ever received.
For all of you reading this, make sure you call your grandparents everyday to let them know how much you love them and appreciate everything they do for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment