Sunday, August 21, 2011

The details


It all happened so fast! On August 9th around 5 pm we found out we would be meeting our little ones the next day after 2!! My OB was out of town so his partner would be performing our c-section. I was very apprehensive, but loved him the moment I met him.
After calling all of Our immediate family and arranging flights and a car service for my mom (she arrived at the hospital in a LIMO, courtesy of the daddy-to-be) we finished packing our bags and cleaning the house for our guests. To say I got zero sleep would be an understatement. I don't even think I closed my eyes at all that night before and I was on the phone at 4 am with my mom making sure she made it to the airport in time.

8.10.11
I washed my hair and dried it, I mean who knows when the next time I will have time to dry it after and actually put on a full face of makeup. Yes! I am that person, I mean this day I was planning on just as many pictures as our wedding day, well maybe not of me, but I would be in some at least! Haha

At 11 am, we had an appointment to have our car seats checked at Primary Children's Hospital. I had to leave and wait in the car because seeing all of the sick babies and kids broke my heart. I couldn't help but wonder what the next few hours would bring us. I mean we were delivering 4 weeks early!!! We finished with the checks at 12:15 and had to rush to St. Mark's - I needed to be there by 12:30.

I was a nervous wreck. I don't do well with pain (I cried when I got my ears pierced, I was 13)!!!! I was so nervous about the spinal block, then the cath, then the actual c-section and recovery. All of this on top of worrying about my sweet babies.

My mom arrived at 1:45, crying. I started having contractions at 1:46 that were 3 minutes apart. I think we stress each other out.

At 2:30, I walked back to the OR. Justin wasn't allowed back until after the spinal block and cath were in place. I think I broke the nurses hand that I was holding when they began to numb my back. It was over in a second and only felt like a bee sting. Thank goodness! The cath was much worse, but I was almost numb completely by this point.
Around 3:00 Justin made his way back to the OR. He looked terrified and later told me that he thought something had happened to me and that's why it took so long for them to bring him back.

I became very nauseous and had to be given something through my IV to help.

3:06 - Hudson Graham Algor entered the world with a proud daddy peeking over the blue curtain.
3:07- Thayer Grant Algor was born screaming!
Justin walked over to check on the babies and came back to tell me how perfect they were! Tears and all ;) he's already The. Best. Daddy!

When the OB was sewing me up, everything was a big blur. My heart felt like it was going to explode in my chest and I could feel my blood pressure in my head and arms. I probably would have felt it elsewhere if i could have "felt".

Immediately after, I was sent back to the recovery room for around 2 hours. Then up a floor where I would live for the next week. At this point I still had not held either one of my sweet boys. Nanny and Poppy arrived around 5:30. I began throwing my guts up shortly after. Around 10:30, I finally was feeling a little better to head down to the NICU to see my babies. After 5 minutes, I was sick again.

Long story short, I stayed a total of 6 days in the hospital due to high fevers from a uterine infection. I probably wouldn't have stayed as long if I was able to rest some, but I was down at the NICU seeing my babies.

Thayer was on a ventilator for 12 hours and stayed in the NICU for 13 days. As of today he weighs 6 pounds 6 ounces. He is a wonderful baby and sleeps the days/nights away. He rarely cries or fusses.

Hudson was in the NICU to learn to eat better and was having a few apnea episodes. As of today, he weighs 7 pounds 1 ounce. He loves to eat and would eat all day if I allowed him to. He loves his paci (which I hate) and loves to party at night.

Daddy has been off all of this week and we are all sad to see him go back to work Monday.

As for mommy, the total weight gain from carrying twins for 36 weeks was 50 pounds. Exactly 3 weeks out, I have 15 pounds to go until I get back to my pre pregnancy weight. As the days get cooler, I plan to push these babes in their amazing, but huge bumble ride stroller to shed these last pounds. I can't wait to do a sit up again... 3 weeks, but whose counting?!?

Xoxo

1 comment:

  1. OK, I'm on a comment binge. What a birth story! I'm so sorry about the infection, those are nasty little buggers to deal with! Sounds like things went pretty well overall. It helps that you took such good care of yourself. You will be back to your pre-pregnancy weight, probably even smaller than that, sooner than you know. Babies will take the weight right off you, and you've got TWO! :D

    ReplyDelete